Image Map

Friday, February 19, 2016

Dear Scout Finch,

My heart broke today. I didn't think Harper Lee passing would be a big deal to me. I don't think of Harper Lee much in my day-to-day life. However, waking to the news that Harper Lee had died at the age of 89 hit me. I had a visceral reaction to the news. I started crying and that didn't make sense. I can sum it up best by saying today it felt like Scout Finch grew up, got old and died. It hurt.

To Kill A Mockingbird is a book I think of often. I was just talking to my best friend, Holly, about it. I have always loved the story and it's characters. I want to know Atticus Finch. The book remains relevant today, in fact, I shared this quote this morning from the book because it hits home even in 2016.
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." - Atticus Finch
Rest well, Harper Lee.

For now,

No comments:

Post a Comment